Thursday, 14 October 2010

Book Review - Della Says OMG by Keris Stainton

Della’s over the moon when she kisses her long-standing crush at a party – but then she discovers her diary has disappeared...
When scans of embarrassing pages are sent to her mobile and appear on Facebook, Della’s distraught – how can she enjoy her first proper romance when someone, somewhere, knows all her deepest, darkest secrets?


This is the first book I have completely enjoyed for a very long time. Every page was a joy to read and I couldn’t really fault the book other than it was probably a bit young for me, but hey…I’m a female Peter Pan! I’m never growing up! In all seriousness though, this book was just what I needed to get out of my reading slump. Just a nice normal read with no paranormal beings falling in love with us humans.

Della is your normal sixteen-year-old girl with all those thoughts, worries and doubts girls her age have. Then the boy she has fancied all her school life comes to her sister’s going away party and takes an interest in her. The story centres around their developing relationship, with a sub-plot of Della’s diary going missing and trying to figure out who has it when they start sending her pages or quotes from it.

See, nothing complicated about the story. It was a breath of fresh-air. The writing flowed nicely. Nothing seemed forced. The characters were believable. What I loved most about the characters was the love and support of each other. Sometimes families and friends are there for each other just because they can be. No need for sullenness and ‘get out of my life’ drama from Della only for her to realise at the end they were only trying to help her. She knew from the beginning, which made the story even more lovely and warm.

I do have one gripe about the book; it needed more about the diary. That’s all. So I’m giving it full marks. I know it wasn’t the most intelligent, thought-provoking books I’ve read, but as I said before, this book wasn’t aimed at people my age, and Keris Stainton thoroughly entertained me with this story of Della.

5/5

No comments: