Wednesday, 13 October 2010

Book Review - Nevermore by Kelly Creagh

Cheerleader Isobel Lanley is horrified when she is paired with Varen Nethers for an English project, which is due—so unfair—on the day of the rival game. Cold and aloof, sardonic and sharp-tongued, Varen makes it clear he’d rather not have anything to do with her either. But when Isobel discovers strange writing in his journal, she can’t help but give this enigmatic boy with the piercing eyes another look.

Soon, Isobel finds herself making excuses to be with Varen. Steadily pulled away from her friends and her possessive boyfriend, Isobel ventures deeper and deeper into the dream world Varen has created through the pages of his notebook, a realm where the terrifying stories of Edgar Allan Poe come to life.

As her world begins to unravel around her, Isobel discovers that dreams, like words, hold more power than she ever imagined, and that the most frightening realities are those of the mind. Now she must find a way to reach Varen before he is consumed by the shadows of his own nightmares.

His life depends on it.


This book definitely left an impression on me. It starts off with Isobel and Varen being forced into a pairing for an English project and their disdain for each other completely rolls off the page. Then the attraction for each other slowly comes into it, much to Isobel’s friends’ horror, and the boyfriend isn’t too happy about her spending time with him either. Then strange things start to happen around Varen and Isobel is getting caught up in it too, all with Edgar Allan Poe being linked to it all somehow. It can’t be a coincidence that Varen picked Poe for their project…can it?

I absolutely adored this book and the way Kelly Creagh wove the elements of Poe and his mysterious death into the plot (I’ll definitely be making more of an effort to read his works now more than ever). All the events, conversations, arguments, thoughts flowed so effortlessly and the characters were all well-rounded and realistic. The hint of supernatural goings-on was just right…until the last third of the book, then I got a little bit lost and wasn’t enjoying the book as much for about 50 pages. It just didn’t fit with how the book was going. That was my only issue with the story.

I fell in love with the way Kelly took Poe’s death and the mystery around it, and she ran with it. The whole story worked and you could almost imagine this was why Poe died the way he did. Having never read Poe’s works, I did get a little bit lost with that part of the book, but it wasn’t an issue. Kelly definitely helps by adding some facts about Poe throughout the book when they’re doing the project. If anything, it gets me intrigued to really sit down and learn about Poe. It’s a pity he wasn’t on my school curriculum…or my university module of American literature; go figure.

I know I could write so much more about this book, like some of my peeves, but my gist is this: I adore this book. 

Nevermore isn’t getting full rating only because of that small bit in the book where it goes from being about this strong attraction to all-out paranormal happenings that I couldn’t follow completely. It lost the chemistry between the characters a little bit. I will definitely be reading the rest of the series and I cannot wait for the next book! I shall just have to catch up on my Edgar Allan Poe while I do wait.

4/5

No comments: