Monday, 6 December 2010

Book Review - Out for Blood by Alyxandra Harvey


Out for Blood by Alyxandra Harvey
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Release Date: 1st November 2010 (UK)

Summary (amazon):
Hunter Wild is the youngest in a long line of elite vampire hunters, a legacy that is both a blessing and a curse at the secret Helios-Ra Academy, where she excels at just about everything. Thanks to her friendship with Kieran Black, Hunter receives a special invitation to attend the coronation of Helena Drake, and for the first time, she sees the difference between vampires that must be hunted and vampires that can become friends—or even more. When students at the academy fall victim to a mysterious illness, Hunter suspects they are under attack from within. She will need someone she can trust to help her save the future of Helios-Ra . . . help that shockingly comes in the form of Quinn Drake, a drop-dead gorgeous vampire. Who said senior year would be easy?


I love the first two Drake chronicle books, My Heart Lies Bleeding and Blood Feud and I think that was what made me have high expectations for Out for Blood because I only liked it instead of loving it. The formula was the same, but it was missing something and I didn’t devour the book as I thought I would.

The chapters, like the other two books, bounce between characters and this time it’s Quinn Drake and Hunter Wild that we’re following. Hunter is a vampire hunter and Quinn is a vampire, so that’s complicated enough but add in some Hel-Blar attacks and some very suspicious things going on in the Helios-Ra and nothing is simple for these two lovebirds.

 I didn’t really love this book because this was more about Hunter and the Academy and not a great deal about the Drakes. Hunter isn’t irritating, but she’s bordering it. Her friends, on the other hand, definitely making it on to the irritating train, Chloe especially- she’s worse than Lucy. And Quinn…well apart from the odd one or two personality traits, I can’t really say he’s all that different from the other male Drakes that have taken the lead in previous books. I would certainly get lost if there are a lot of scenes with all the Drake boys in it.

 I will continue reading this series because the writing is so light and frothy, and it flows so naturally. I wish it had had that sharp humour in this one though like it did with the others. Apart from that, still worth the read if you've started the series.

3/5

No comments: