Sunday, 23 January 2011

Book Review - Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl


Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl
Published by: Penguin UK
Release Date: 4th February 2010

In Ethan Wate’s hometown there lies the darkest of secrets . . . There is a girl. Slowly, she pulled the hood from her head. Green eyes, black hair. Lena Duchannes. There is a curse. On the Sixteenth Moon, the Sixteenth Year, the Book will take what it’s been promised. And no one can stop it. In the end, there is a grave. Lena and Ethan become bound together by a deep, powerful love. But Lena is cursed and on her sixteenth birthday, her fate will be decided. Ethan never even saw it coming.

  I had this book on my shelf for a while and really couldn’t wait to get to it. I even bought the second one before reading this one because I was so interested in the storyline. The 4/5 star reviews people seemed to be giving it only encouraged me to really bump this up the pile…

 I think it’s time I stopped judging books by there covers (Time Traveller’s Wife is a good argument for this; hated the cover, loved the book) and looking at the millions of amazing reviews because usually I build the book up so much in my mind that I can’t kick it off it’s pedestal any quicker than I do when I finally start reading the book. I really was well and truly drawn in by the hype of Beautiful Creatures and I wish I hadn’t been.

  The book starts when Lena Duchannes moves into town and Ethan Wate is instantly enthralled, especially when he’s been having nightmares about trying to save her before he’d even laid eyes on her. Then we follow the story of seeing them grow close, even though Lena is against it, but Ethan persists. That’s all I can say on the story without giving too much away about why Lena has moved into town and why Ethan has been having the dreams.

 It really underwhelmed me, the whole story. By the time I’d reached a third of the way through I had to really make myself finish the book (I’m working my way to starting Beautiful Darkness because I hate leaving a series unfinished.) The story was dead to me. I didn’t feel any of the romance and guessed pretty much all the twists in the story before I’d gotten halfway through. I couldn’t even warm to any of the characters, they all got my nerves, especially Amma and Ethan’s father.

 What I will say is that the Civil War story behind it has me wanting to learn more about it. That was really intriguing to me. And it wasn’t that the authors were terrible at the writing, the book was beautifully written, but the story left me bored, especially when it was so drawn out too. Not all stories need to be 500+ these days, it’s okay to have an ending for them. Maybe Beautiful Darkness will be better now that everyone’s secrets are out.

2/5

No comments: