Sunday, 24 April 2011

Book Review - Paranormalcy by Kiersten White


Paranormalcy by Kiersten White
Publisher: HarperCollins Children's Books 
Release Date: 6th January 2011 

Summary (amazon): 
Sixteen-year-old Evie has always taken comfort in the fact that she is normal, even though her best friend is a mermaid and her ex-boyfriend is a lunatic – and a faery. In a world where paranormals are monitored and controlled, Evie works for the International Paranormal Containment Agency because of her unique ability to see through glamours. But someone – or something – starts killing vampires, werewolves and other paranormals, and Evie must figure out what’s happening before they all disappear.


Then a shapeshifter named Lend breaks into the agency, and Evie is irresistibly drawn to him, even though he makes her aware that the IPCA is not as noble as she once thought. With everything Evie believes suddenly called into question, the IPCA is attacked and she must choose who she can really trust.


And when Evie discovers she’s part of a faerie prophecy of death and destruction… so much for normal.

 When Paranormalcy started being publicised on blogs, I pined for this book, and the cover didn't hurt my need to have this book either. You can’t deny that is one awesome cover! So when I finally got my hands on it (I love you, Kindle!), I started it on a long car journey to London and that was it! I had to finish this sucker and find out what happened to Evie! I was taking my Kindle all over London and reading on two-minute tube journeys.

 From the very first page I fell in love with Evie. She’s sassy, witty and a typical teen. It was nice to read a protagonist that reacts like a teen instead of being a little too mature. My only gripe with Evie was as the story went on and more things were being revealed, it made you wonder why she had never asked these questions before, but she does acknowledge this as she learns new things from the past.

 All the characters were well-rounded and written so well that you could really imagine these beings and their mannerisms. Oh and the Faeries. The wickedness and indifference dripped off the page from them. And Lend…I wish I knew a boy like Lend when I was sixteen! So sweet and adorable, and nothing like any of the teen boys I knew.

 I highly recommend this book to anyone who loves a light, fast-paced, fun read with good, strong characters. I will be making sure everyone I know (who reads YA) reads this book and Supernaturally is already on my pre-order! So what you waiting for? If you have read it, go now. Read it. Love it. Embrace it!

No comments: