Sunday, 8 May 2011

Book Review - Die for Me by Amy Plum


Die for Me by Amy Plum
Date Release: 5th May 2011
Genre: Young Adult

Thank you NetGalley for this galley.
 
Summary (Amazon):

My life had always been blissfully, wonderfully normal. But it only took one moment to change everything. Suddenly, my sister, Georgia and I were orphans. We put our lives into storage and moved to Paris to live with my grandparents. And I knew my shattered heart, my shattered life, would never feel normal again. Then I met Vincent. Mysterious, sexy and unnervingly charming, Vincent Delacroix appeared out of nowhere and swept me off my feet. Just like that, I was in danger of losing my heart all over again. But I was ready to let it happen. Of course, nothing is ever that easy. Because Vincent is no normal human. He has a terrifying destiny, one that puts his life at risk every day. He also has enemies...immortal, murderous enemies who are determined to destroy him and all of his kind.


 I adored this story. I wasn’t sure what to expect when I started it because I’d seen a lot of comparisons/similarities to Twilight being mentioned. Now don’t get me wrong, I like The Twilight Saga as much as the next romance-loving gal. Then I read an article pointing out its faults and my love affair with the sparkly vampires was soon over. So I tried to ignore that and go into Die for Me with a clear view and I’m glad I did.

 Kate, the protagonist, was beautifully written. Sometimes overwhelmingly so, that she didn’t seem to have any flaws. In fact, I can’t think of any flaws being mentioned, but I suppose that all adds to the graceful sadness that smacks you off the page. I loved the maturity coming from her, which I can only assume is due to the European upbringing she had, because as an adult reading a YA book, I could finally get to grips with the voice. I remember being 16 and my thought process was closer to Kate’s than it’s been with any other protagonists I’ve read.

 Vincent and the Revenants were fun and I wanted more interactions with the whole group. I was drawn to Gaspard (I always like the ones that hide in the background) and I wanted more of him and his history. The mixture of different characters was just right. My only niggle was the turnaround in Jules’ behaviour. It was too much for me. But it didn't take away my love for this story.

 The story has a steady pace with nothing dragging. There’s just the right amount of intrigue to the plot that keeps you reading so that you can get the answers to all the questions that pop in your head. The only thing that was predictable, and I saw coming straight away, was the events unravelling in the last five chapters. Although, there was a moment in the book which was never answered and I’m hoping I’ll see that in the sequel…there is a sequel right?

 I really can’t recommend this highly enough, especially if you love a good angsty romance. I devoured this book in a couple of hours, which takes a lot for me to do when you have a screaming parrot in the house, that’s how much I enjoyed the story.

No comments: