Wednesday, 18 May 2011

Book Review - Divergent by Veronica Roth


Divergent by Veronica Roth
Publisher: HarperCollins Children's Books
Release Date: 3rd May 2011
Genre: Young adult


Summary (Amazon):
One choice can transform you. Pass initiation. Do not fail…

In sixteen-year-old Beatrice Prior’s world, society is divided into five factions – Abnegation (the selfless), Candor (the honest), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent) – each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue, in the attempt to form a “perfect society.” At the age of sixteen, teens must choose the faction to which they will devote their lives.

On her Choosing Day, Beatrice renames herself Tris, rejects her family’s group, and chooses another faction. After surviving a brutal initiation, Tris finds romance with a super-hot boy, but also discovers unrest and growing conflict in their seemingly “perfect society.” To survive and save those they love, they must use their strengths to uncover the truths about their identities, their families, and the order of their society itself.


  At first I wanted this book because I kept hearing good things and seeing fantastic reviews. Then I became apprehensive at how many good reviews there was because books get so hyped that you can expect too much from them. Also, I tend to get very antsy and uncomfortable reading dystopian books. Nevertheless, I got the book and started it straight away and I’m so glad I did.

Divergent may just have won me over to liking dystopian novels. It was a little slow to start off with and I had to make myself push through the first hundred pages, but then after that it really picks up pace and I was reading it at every spare moment I had.

 The characters were well written and believable. Tris was a fantastic protagonist. Her conflicts and confusion were believable and you were there with her on everything she was doing. I was completely swept up in her story and felt everything she felt.

 There’s so many things I could talk about and gush over, but I don’t want to talk too much about the story. You need to read it and experience it without knowing much about the plot. Just go read this book and enjoy Roth’s fantastic writing and storytelling skills!

No comments: