Tuesday, 17 May 2011

Book Review - Hereafter by Tara Hudson


Hereafter  by Tara Hudson

Release Date: 7th July 2011 (UK)/ 7th June 2011 (US)
Copy: Netgalley


 Summary (amazon):

Can there truly be love after death?



Drifting in the dark waters of a mysterious river, the only thing Amelia knows for sure is that she's dead. With no recollection of her past life—or her actual death—she's trapped alone in a nightmarish existence. All of this changes when she tries to rescue a boy, Joshua, from drowning in her river. As a ghost, she can do nothing but will him to live. Yet in an unforgettable moment of connection, she helps him survive. 


Amelia and Joshua grow ever closer as they begin to uncover the strange circumstances of her death and the secrets of the dark river that held her captive for so long. But even while they struggle to keep their bond hidden from the living world, a frightening spirit named Eli is doing everything in his power to destroy their newfound happiness and drag Amelia back into the ghost world . . . forever. 

 I wanted to love this book. I’ve loved ghost stories since I was ten years old. So here we are with a ghost story and we have romance to boot. But I didn’t love it. There was something missing with the story because I had to force myself to continue to get to the end, and I’m glad I did because the last third is the best part of the book.

 We meet Amelia, lost in a fog since she died, doesn’t know who she is except for her first name and doesn’t know how long she’s been dead for. She knows she must have drowned because she keeps having nightmares about it, but that’s all she remembers- the drowning bit, not the circumstances for it. Whilst moving through this existence, Amelia sees a boy, Joshua, drowning and in moment of connection, she helps him to save himself.

 After saving him, Amelia realises that Joshua can see her, the first person to see since she had died. Slowly Amelia and Joshua start fall for each other as they get to know each other, and with it comes Amelia’s memory in dribs and drabs. Then Eli, a fellow spirit with a hidden agenda, steps into Amelia’s existence too with some frightful promises about what will happen to Amelia now that she is now long in a fog.

 This story had so much potential, but the writing was bland and didn’t grip me. I was bored by the characters and felt no love for any of them. Even when you read about Amelia remembering her death, I still felt nothing for Amelia. There’s no connection between reader and story. 

 The last third of the story picked up pace and all the twists and turns were thrown in quickly, almost too quickly. If the subplots had been spaced out a bit more, it would have made for a better read. Only having them all flung at you at the end in the hopes of you reading the next book does not endear me to the story. But knowing me, I’ll still read on anyway because I can’t leave a series unfinished either.

No comments: