Saturday, 14 May 2011

Book Review - Pictures of Lily by Paige Toon


Pictures of Lily by Paige Toon
Release Date: 8th July 2010
Genre: Chicklit/Adult Fiction 

 Summary (Amazon):
'Will you marry me?' I think of you, then. I think of you every day. But usually in the quietest part of the morning, or the darkest part of the night. Not when my boyfriend of two years has just proposed. I look up at Richard with his hopeful eyes. 'Lily?' he prompts. It's been ten years, but it feels like only yesterday that you left. How can I say yes to Richard with all my heart when most of it has always belonged to you? I take a deep breath and will myself to speak...

Ten years ago when Lily was just sixteen, she fell in love with someone she really shouldn't have fallen in love with. Now, living in Sydney and engaged to another man, she can't forget the one that got away. Then her past comes back to haunt her, and she has to make a decision that will break her heart - and the heart of at least one of the men who love her.

 Paige Toon is one of those authors where I no longer read what the book is going to be about, I just buy it and get stuck in. She has yet to fail to get me gripped into the story by chapter three or four. She has also yet to fail to give me a good, fun, addictive story. This was no exception to that. Pictures of Lily rocked my socks as much as the rest of Paige’s novels.

 In this book, we meet Lily ten years ago, when she’s sixteen and her mum’s dragged her across the globe to live in Australia and we see what happens there before coming back to the present day. It’s something Paige hasn't done in her other books and I wasn’t sure if I was a fan of it. Mainly because it takes up about a quarter of the book and we already know what’s coming, but that’s where Paige’s writing really takes over. You don’t care and you keep reading, falling in love with these characters and wanting to be part of their lives.

 Something about the way Paige writes her novels really makes you, as the reader, get really involved in the characters lives. I literally sat down and read this in one sitting, because even when I just put it down to get a drink, I was constantly thinking about what would happen next. Lily is such a likeable and relatable character, and all the other characters you love just as much because of the superb dialogues Paige writes between them. And as usual, characters from previous books turn up in some form or another. I love that. Makes you think of them as real people who are actually living these lives somewhere.

 If you have never read a book by Paige Toon, you’re really missing out. No matter what the story or setting is, she really pulls out all the stops and I certainly wasn’t disappointed in what she produced. Now roll on the next book! Meanwhile, get thee to a library or bookshop and get reading Paige Toon!

No comments: