Tuesday, 10 May 2011

Book Review - RSVP by Helen Warner

RSVP by Helen Warner
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Release Date: 17th March 2011
Genre: Chicklit/Adult Fiction

Summary (Amazon):
Four women, one wedding and a day to remember - or rather forget ...Anna's world is rocked when she receives an invitation to her ex Toby's nuptials - Toby was The One, The Love of Her Life, The One That Got Away. Will attending his Big Day finally give her the sense of closure she so desperately craves? Or will it only re-open old wounds? Clare is Anna's best friend, the person who was there for her when she and Toby split all those years ago. But little does Clare know that Toby's wedding day will also change her own life for ever. Ella is a classic femme fatale. She loves men and leaves them without a backward glance. But the one person who's never fallen for her charms is Toby. As he prepares to get hitched, is it too late for a last-ditch attempt to win his heart? Finally, Rachel is the blushing bride-to-be. This should be the happiest day of her life. So how come she feels nothing but a terrible sense of foreboding?
 
This, my fellow readers, is no ordinary ‘chicklit’ novel. No, no, it really isn’t. It lures you in with that lovely cover, looking like a lovely invitation, with a lovely border in my favourite colour, then BAM! You’ve been sucker punched by one amazing rollercoaster of a story!

 Oh where to start about RSVP? I went into expecting some nice fluff and my happy ever after to round it off. What I didn’t expect was the heartbreak and angst running throughout the book. It was raw, powerful and beautifully written. I love a good angst-ridden novel and this is the first one I’ve read in a very long time that filled the void I’d had for a while. It was the kind of devastation that stays with you long after you put the book down.

 The characters were well-thought out and rounded. You could almost imagine yourself knowing these people somewhere in your life. They were believable and flawed. Anna was stubborn, but a little bit too weak for me to completely love her. Clare on the other hand is how I like my characters; strong, independent and gets on with it. She’s a firm but fair friend to Anna. Rachel was a touch too nice and…something else. I can’t put my finger on it, maybe too perfect. She was flawed, but not enough. And Ella- now she was someone I loved to hate and could really sink my teeth into her story.

 It would have been nice to get some perspective from Toby. Like an epilogue at the end or something so we could get an idea of what was going through his head through the whole story. There were moments where he would give a strange look, or say something that felt out of the blue, and I didn’t feel like it was explained afterwards. It would’ve been nice to see his story too.

 Overall, this was an emotional, angsty read. It was like reading an episode of Grey’s Anatomy, and I couldn’t put it down, I had to read one more chapter, just like I can never watch just one episode of Grey’s. Anyone who loves that show, will completely love this book!

No comments: