Friday, 17 June 2011

Book Review - Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Delirium by Lauren Oliver
Publisher: Hodder & Stoughton
Release Date: 3rd February 2011
Genre: Young Adult

Copy from Netgalley

Summary (Amazon):

There was a time when love was the most important thing in the world. People would go to the end of the earth to find it. They would tell lies for it. Even kill for it.

Then, at last, they found the cure.

Now, everything is different. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the government demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Haloway has always looked forward to the day when she'll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But then, with only ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable.


Let me just say this first; Lauren Oliver is a beautiful writer. Her descriptions are fantastic. Everything was so clear in my head that I could actually have been there, living Lena’s life with her. The whole process of living in this future was believable. So believable, in fact, that it was almost like looking forward and seeing what would become of us.

 I hated the story though.

Well, I say ‘hate’, that’s a bit harsh, but I was very repulsed by the story and found it hard-going to keep reading. It did nothing for me. Whilst I was terrified of the idea of living in a future like this, I really couldn’t care for anyone in the story. I was little bit bored if I’m honest.

 Cruel and cold things happened to people in this book and I felt nothing when they happened. With such beautiful writing, it was throwing me for a loop as to why I didn’t find the actual story as beautiful as I’ve heard many others describe it. Lena was boring. Alex was slightly interesting. Hanna I liked; she’s strong-willed and I love those kinds of characters. The small child who didn’t talk (I can’t remember her name), she was interesting…and she didn’t utter a word.

  I’m not sure if I’ll read the rest of the books for this trilogy. I probably will at some point because I hate leaving things unfinished, but I just didn’t care for the story or the characters. I desperately wished I had because I love Lauren’s writing style.

 I still recommend the book to anyone though. There are still plenty of reviews who love Delirium so much, that I think I’m the strange one for not even liking it, never mind loving it.
 

No comments: