Tuesday, 7 June 2011

Book Review - The Making of Us by Lisa Jewell

The Making of Us by Lisa Jewell

Publisher: Century (Random House imprint)
Release Date: 12th May 2011
Genre: Chicklit/Fiction

Summary (Amazon):
In a hospice in Bury St Edmunds, a man called Daniel is slowly fading away. His friend Maggie sits with him every day; she holds his hand and she listens to the story of his life, to his regrets and to his secrets. And then he tells her about the children he has never met and never will. He talks of them wistfully. His legacy, he calls them.

Lydia, Dean and Robyn don't know each other. Yet. And they are all facing difficult changes. Lydia is still wearing the scars from her traumatic childhood and although she is wealthy and successful, her life is lonely and disjointed. Dean is a young man, burdened with unexpected responsibility, whose life is going nowhere. And Robyn wants to be a doctor, just like her father – a man she's never met. But is her whole life built on an illusion?

Three people leading three very different lives. All lost. All looking for something. But when they slowly find their way into each other’s lives, everything starts to change …



 Lisa Jewell is back on form!


 I’ve loved Lisa’s books from the start. Had them pre-ordered every time it was available to do so. But I was disappointed with After the Party and I wasn’t sure how I was going to find reading The Making of Us because I’m of the firm belief that sperm donors should be able to keep their anonymity. Then I started seeing amazing reviews for it, so my expectations were high, which isn’t always a good thing for me. However, I wasn’t disappointed with this one! It was written in the very same style that made Lisa my favourite author ever. Addictive, intriguing and everything set at a steady pace with no lull.


 So, where to start without giving too much away? You have three main characters, Lydia, Robyn and Dean, all the result of the same sperm donor years ago. All have had very different upbringings and are in very different places in their lives. Lydia is wealthy and successful, but is missing something in her life that she can’t quite understand. Robyn, having always known about her being a sperm donor baby due to health issues in the family, is intelligent and training to be a doctor, but is losing her drive and reasoning for it all. Then there’s Dean who has had a poor upbringing and has gotten his girlfriend pregnant.


 I don’t know exactly how it works for sperm donors and the children getting in touch with each other, but Lisa made this story believable and warm. Nothing felt forced or cheesy. I was there with all three characters as they discovered who they really were and what they needed to do with their lives. They could almost be someone you know they were so fleshed out with their quirks, habits and thoughts.


 I highly recommend this book to anyone who loves a feel-good story. This has definitely moved into the slot of being my favourite Lisa Jewell book. I really haven’t done enough justice for this book here. So trust me, go read this book. You need to experience it all for yourself to understand my love of Lisa’s fantastic storytelling skills.

No comments: