Monday, 13 June 2011

Book Review - Mercy by Rebecca Lim

Mercy by Rebecca Lim

Publisher: HarperCollins Children's Books
Release Date: 28th October 2010
Genre: Young Adult

Copy from Netgalley

Summary (Amazon):


There's something very wrong with me. I can't remember who I am or how old I am, or even how I got here. All I know is that when I wake up, I could be any one. It is always this way.

There's nothing I can keep with me that will stay. It's made me adaptable.


I must always re-establish ties.
I must tread carefully or give myself away.
I must survive.


Mercy doesn't realise it yet, but as she journeys into the darkest places of the human soul, she discovers that she is one of the celestial host exiled with fallen angel, Lucifer. Now she must atone for taking his side. To find her own way back to heaven, Mercy must help a series of humans in crisis and keep the unwary from getting caught up in the games that angels play. Ultimately she must choose between her immortal companion, Lucifer, and a human boy who risks everything for her love.


 I didn’t know what to make of this one. I started it, but found the voice of Mercy a bit…cold and dull. I couldn’t connect to what was going on. So I left it and read something else. I came back to it a couple of weeks later and made myself finish it in one sitting, and I’m not sure if I’m glad I did or not.

 I’ve seen the phrase ‘Quantum Leap with angels’ bandied round for this book by a few people, and I suppose that is the best way to think of it. Mercy is an angel that goes from body to body, with no memories of her past, no retained memories from the previous girls except the immediate previous one, and tries to maintain the life of the person she’s now living in. The book starts with her waking up in Carmen’s body as she is on her way to a small town to take part in a yearly choir show they hold, and Carmen is one of the best singers within the choir.

  In this small town, Mercy stays at the home of a missing girl, and everyone, bar the girl’s twin brother, believe she’s dead. But something tells Mercy that she isn’t and she helps Ryan, the brother, to find her. 

 Once I got into the story, it was a good read, but fairly predictable. I could see everything coming from a mile off. And I still couldn’t relate to Mercy’s voice or her story, but I think I’ll put that down to the fact the Mercy has been around practically since the dawn of time and isn’t human. The writing was beautiful though; I could really picture the school, the town and the people. There was also enough intrigue throughout that kept me reading to see if I’d get an answer. Some I did, some I’ll probably get in the next couple of books.

 As much as I did enjoy the story in the end, it’s not a story where I’ll be rushing to read the rest of the series. I’d recommend this book to anyone who loves the Angel Bandwagon running through Booktown.

No comments: