Thursday, 16 June 2011

Book Review - Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini

Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini
Release Date: 3rd June 2011 (UK)
Genre: Young Adult

Copy from Netgalley

Summary (Amazon):
  When shy, awkward Helen Hamilton sees Lucas Delos for the first time she thinks two things: the first, that he is the most ridiculously beautiful boy she has seen in her life; the second, that she wants to kill him with her bare hands. 
 
With an ancient curse making them loathe one another, Lucas and Helen have to keep their distance. But sometimes love is stronger than hate, and not even the gods themselves can prevent what will happen . . . 


 I made the mistake of reading a few reviews of this book before I read it for myself. ‘Too similar to Twilight’ was a phrase I spotted a lot. As I read Starcrossed that was all I could see. With that in mind, I think Angelini may have been aware of some of the similarities too when Helen half-heartedly refused to be that girl that gave in to whatever the boy asked her to do. It was almost like that scene was in there just to distance her writing from the Twilight series (I refuse to call it a saga).

 Anyway, in saying that, I still enjoyed the story. I read it in one sitting because I needed to know yesterday what happened to everyone. I liked- to a point- all the characters, maybe not so much Helen, she was too weak for me as a leading character, but everyone else I could warm to- even if they were all slightly too perfect. I didn’t get the subplot of Helen’s dad and Kate; I thought that was all a bit pointless. And whilst the writing was good enough to make me picture everything clearly, some of Helen’s thoughts were all over the place and I had to re-read some parts so I could get the gist of what she was thinking. And sometimes skip her thoughts because she was repeating herself again.

 Like with Twilight I wanted less on Helen/Bella and more on the Cullen/Delos family. I wanted more on their history other than them descending from Greek Gods. The parents of the Delos family sounded like they had some interesting stories to tell, and I was desperate to hear them. Instead there are snippets of stories between Helen and Lucas’ love story.

There were moments between Helen and Lucas that were drawn out and not enough of getting the story moving. I also got wound up with Helen when she couldn’t get to grips with Lucas not kissing her, or doing anything more than holding her hand. She’d already been told what would happen, then when it’s finally spelled out for her, she’s shocked. What was that about?

 The last quarter of the book was where the story really picked up and moved along at the speed the rest of the book should have done. I feel 400+ pages was a bit excessive for a story that could probably have been told in less than 300 pages.

 I’ll stick with what I said before, that I did enjoy the story, regardless of the things that got on my nerves, and I will more than likely read any more books that come out for this series. I just hope that Helen toughens up. I also believed the Greek mythology that was being spun within the book. I love Greek mythology and learning about it, but I can’t say I know enough that it would distract me from the story because some of it was inaccurate, which I had seen mentioned in reviews.

 I recommend this to anyone who loved Twilight, loves a love story between teens, and loves Greek mythology. Don’t let the size of the book put you off, it’s still enjoyable enough if you don’t take it too seriously.

No comments: