Wednesday, 3 August 2011

Book Review - Angelfire by Courtney Allison Moulton

Angelfire by Courtney Allison Moulton
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books (HarperCollins imprint)
Release Date: 1st March 2011
Genre: Young Adult

Copy from Netgalley


Summary from Goodreads:


When seventeen-year-old Ellie starts seeing reapers - monstrous creatures who devour humans and send their souls to Hell - she finds herself on the front lines of a supernatural war between archangels and the Fallen and faced with the possible destruction of her soul.

A mysterious boy named Will reveals she is the reincarnation of an ancient warrior, the only one capable of wielding swords of angelfire to fight the reapers, and he is an immortal sworn to protect her in battle. Now that Ellie's powers have been awakened, a powerful reaper called Bastian has come forward to challenge her. He has employed a fierce assassin to eliminate her - an assassin who has already killed her once.

This was one of the books that the minute I started it, I had to finish it. I raced through it in just over a day and can definitely say this is a real page-turner. The storyline got a little bit repetitive sometimes (Will constantly avoiding Ellie’s questions) but that is what kept me reading. I need to know the answer to these questions.

Ellie is a great, feisty character, with just the right amount of storyline about her adjusting to her true identity, before getting down to business. I loved Will. In fact someone mentioned this being a little bit like Buffy so I kept imagining David Boreanaz as Will.

I had a few niggles with the story, like Ellie being a little bit spoilt. No answers for Ellie’s dad’s behaviour. And Will keeping all these secrets. He should have told her something more than he was instead of getting it all at once right at the end.

Either way, loved this story and I’ll definitely read the rest. I highly recommend this if you like anything angsty and paranormal.

No comments: