Monday, 15 August 2011

Book Review - Here Lies Bridget by Paige Harbison

Here Lies Bridget by Paige Harbison
Publisher: Mira Ink (UK)/ Harlequin TEEN (US)
Release Date: 17th June 2011
Genre: Young Adult

Copy from Netgalley


Summary (Amazon):
Can death be a fresh start? They say that before you die your life flashes before you’re eyes. You think it’s going to be the good stuff- every kiss, every party. Don’t count on it. I was Bridget Duke the uncontested ruler of the school. If keeping the wannabes in their place meant being a mean girl, then so be it! I never thought there’d be a price to pay. Until the accident. Now, trapped between life and death, I’m seeing my world in a new light: through the eyes of five people whose existence I’ve made hell. And I’ve got one chance to make things right. If I don t, I may never wake up again...

I read this in one sitting. I hated Bridget so much, and I think that was the point, but there something addictive about this story that I had to keep going to see how it would play out. It was a bit like ‘car crash’ TV, you can see what she’s doing to her friends and herself, but you need to keep going to see how it’ll play out.

As you’re reading it, and hating Bridget more and more with each action of hers, you can see she doesn’t fully understand why she’s doing it, and there’s a moment where you think she might just stop. She doesn’t though. Her self-destruction goes one step further when new girl, Anna, shows up and starts taking over Bridget’s popularity. The school’s population likes her because she’s nice to them, which is all a bit novel to Bridget. Mean is what makes her popular.

The first quarter to a third of this book is a bit slow but if you push past it you really get to grips with the story. Whilst I read it, I kept thinking of Mean Girls and A Christmas Carol, all rolled into one book. I highly recommend this to anyone who likes either of those and likes to see a bitch get her comeuppance.

No comments: