Saturday, 6 August 2011

Book Review - The Lying Game by Sara Shepard

The Lying Game by Sara Shepard
Publisher: HarperTeen (HarperCollins imprint)
Date Released: 31st March 2011
Genre: Young Adult

Copy from Netgalley

Summary (Amazon):

Sutton Mercer had a life anyone would kill for – and someone did. But thanks to a view from the afterlife and Emma Paxton, her long-lost twin sister, Sutton has a chance to solve her own murder. Emma slips into Sutton’s old life to piece together her disappearance. But can Emma keep up the charade long enough to discover what really happened to Sutton…or will she become the next victim?
Let the lying games begin.

I’d only ever read half of the first book of Pretty Little Liars and for some reason I didn’t continue. Chances are it was because the show had started it so I’d gotten used to the way the show was written. So when I saw The Lying Game I thought, great, fresh start of a new series AND I get to read it before the show starts on this one. I can honestly say this book did not disappoint.

It’s full of mystery and intrigue all the way through. It keeps you turning the pages to find out a little bit more about Sutton and what would lead to her murder. Behind all the fancy things, nice home and popularity, there is an undercurrent of sinister lurking.

I like Emma and wished that she could have had the life Sutton had been having, but Sutton was definitely the more interesting character, jumping from nasty to nice in an instant, and never truly revealing what is going on with her. I did like the relationship Emma was building with Ethan and I can’t wait to see where that goes.

Anyone who loves Pretty Little Liars, show or book, will definitely love this.

No comments: