Sunday, 7 August 2011

Book Review - Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead

Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
Publisher: Puffin
Release Date: 26th May 2009
Genre: Young Adult

Summary (Amazon):
St Vladimir's Academy isn't just any boarding school - hidden away, it's a place where vampires are educated in the ways of magic and half-human teens train to protect them.
Rose Hathaway is a Dhampir, a bodyguard for her best friend Lissa, a Moroi Vampire Princess. They've been on the run, but now they're being dragged back to St Vladimir's where the girls must survive a world of forbidden romances, a ruthless social scene and terrifying night time rituals. But most of all, staying alive.

I had never been interested in this series, but then the last book came out and people were going crazy for it. Apparently I was missing out by not reading these books. So I picked up the first book from the library and liked it enough that I now have the next two in my grubby hands from the library.

I loved Rose and Lissa’s friendship. They balanced each other out perfectly in different ways and new when to help and when to stay away. I loved that Rose was feisty and took no nonsense. We need more strong characters like her in books. That wasn’t to say that Lissa was weak, far from it, she was just feisty in her own way.

I found the mystery behind the storyline predictable and could see the ending coming a mile off, but it kept my interest enough to want to read the rest of this series so that I can find out what will happen. I also need to know what will happen with Rose and the chemistry she shares with a certain fellow Dhampir!

I recommend this book to anyone who loves vampires, a vicious school social ladder and some intense romance scenes.

No comments: