Friday, 9 September 2011

Book Review - Soul Beach by Kate Harrison

Soul Beach by Kate Harrison
Publisher: Indigo (Orion Imprint)
Release Date: 1st September 2011
Genre:  Young adult

Thank you to Waterstones for sending this to me.

Summary (Goodreads):
When Alice Forster receives an email from her dead sister she assumes it must be a sick practical joke. Then an invitation arrives to the virtual world of Soul Beach, an idyllic online paradise of sun, sea and sand where Alice can finally talk to her sister again - and discover a new world of friendships, secrets and maybe even love . . . . But why is Soul Beach only inhabited by the young, the beautiful and the dead? Who really murdered Megan Forster? And could Alice be next? The first book in an intriguing and compelling trilogy centred around the mystery of Megan Forster's death.

 This was a fantastic start to a trilogy. It really set up the story so that you know the characters, know the social network of Soul Beach and are ready for whatever the next books will bring. You meet Alice and her family on the day of Megan's funeral and you really get the feel for what the family has gone through since losing Megan.

 I love the unique storyline of Megan being a reality singing show winner. I've always wondered what it would be like for the family of someone famous or on one of these reality shows. The way everything is portrayed is believable. I could really imagine the family life being this way.

 Overall I think all the characters were fleshed out perfectly. These were characters you could imagine to be real people somewhere in reality. Everyone had their flaws, their own way of coping with Megan's death and their own way of interacting with people. The writing moved at a steady pace and kept me reading to find out more about how Soul Beach works and who the killer was (I have my thoughts on this and usually I'm not wrong).

I would highly recommend this book to anyone who loves a good ghost story. This definitely worked for me and I can't wait to read the next two books.

No comments: