Thursday, 13 October 2011

Book Review - Fury by Elizabeth Miles

Fury by Elizabeth Miles
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Release Date: 1st September 2011
Genre: Young Adult

Summary (Amazon):
In book one of the Fury trilogy, Em Winters and Chase Singer discover that a little guilt isn't the only consequence of doing wrong. After Em hooks up with her best friend's boyfriend and Chase's secret harassment of a social outcast spirals out of control, three mysterious Furies-paranormal creatures that often assume the form of beautiful women-come to town to make sure that Em and Chase get what they deserve. Not everyone will survive-and those who do will discover there are worse punishments than death. 
For some reason I didn't know what to expect from the book, and probably because I went in to it with no expectations I ended up loving it. The writing had a pace that was just right. It didn't rush through the story but it didn't drag on either. You got to know the characters and the storyline at a steady pace.

 I wasn't a fan of anyone in this, but I think that's the point. These people are making mistakes that are sometimes unforgivable, except for JD, and I loved the way the Furies were showing up every so often. The way they were written just made the experience so creepy. There was even a couple of shocks that came into the book that I didn't see coming, but really, with the Furies around, anything is possible.

My only gripe with this book, and it's a personal thing more than anything, was the way the characters were for their age. Some of their actions came across as more university student than high school student. Maybe that's how today's teens are in America, probably here in the UK too, but I just felt some of the thought process and actions were those of an adult. That's just me, I never appear to be happy with the way characters behave for their age.

I highly recommend this to anyone who wants a bit of a scary story with a hint of Greek mythology thrown in. This very much reminded me of my Point Horror reading days- oh how I miss Point Horror!

No comments: