Thursday, 24 November 2011

Book Review - A Beautiful Dark by Jocelyn Davies

A Beautiful Dark by Jocelyn Davies
Publisher: HarperCollins
Release Date: 5th November 2011
Genre: Young Adult

Summary (Goodreads):
On the night of Skye's seventeenth birthday, she meets two enigmatic strangers. Complete opposites; like fire and ice; Asher is dark and wild, while Devin is fair and aloof. Their sudden appearance sends Skye's life into a tailspin. She has no idea what they want, or why they seem to follow her every move only that their presence coincides with a flurry of strange events. Soon she begins to doubt not just the identity of the two boys, but also the truth about her own past. In the dead of a bitingly cold Colorado winter, Skye finds herself coming to terms with the impossible secret that threatens to shatter her world. Torn between Asher, who she can't help falling for, and Devin, who she can't stay away from, the consequences of Skye's choice will reach further than the three of them could ever imagine.
 I didn't really know what to make of this story. I liked it, it kept me gripped enough that I whizzed through the book but...I think my issue with it were Asher and Devin and Skye's barely there strength to just say, 'I have a mind of my own, now do one.' I found the two males need to have Skye do as she's told really, really frustrating to read. In fact it's probably frustrating me more thinking back on it now because I'm reading another book where the male is doing the same thing, only worse! Anyway...

 In saying that, it was well written and I loved the back story that leads up to Asher and Devin being in her life. Skye was a good protagonist, if somewhat weak whenever she was in close proximity to the boys, but at least the thought process is there of how she wishes she wasn't like that and fights it more and more.

I don't want to say too much about it as I'll give too much away about the story. You should go read it, enjoy it and then be like, 'What kind of ending was that?!' then race to check the release date for the next one!

I highly recommend this to anyone who loves a story about Angels and some unique ideas of what they are, and to anyone who doesn't mind a bit of damsel-in-distress moments.

No comments: